Paddlepower: The Paddlesport award scheme for Young People
Paddlepower is an exciting scheme that has been designed to meet the needs of young people. It’s colourful and youth centred approach aims to:
- Encourage more young people to come into and stay in the sport
- Provide progression and reward achievement in a wide range of topics
- Show them all aspects of the sport – both competitive and adventurous
- Provide signposts into Clubs where their skills and development can be nurtured
- Provide a flexible structure for delivery according to venue/situation
- The scheme comprises 5 Awards to support a young paddler’s introduction and progress in Paddlesport.
The Paddlepower Awards
An entry level award suitable for taster sessions or as part of a series of sessions.
Four progressive levels based on 24 topics which can be grouped into Safety Awareness, Paddling Skills, Varied Experiences, and Supporting Knowledge.
This follows on from Passport with a further 4 levels to take the young paddler to the next level in Paddlesport skills and knowledge.
Three different levels take the paddler on an extensive journey exploring the great variety Paddlesport, with topics focused on participation in events and journeys in the competitive and non-competitive disciplines.
Three levels to test the paddler on all elements of paddlesport including being responsible for self and others, participation in journeys, coaching sessions, training, events/competitions in a variety of disciplines, background knowledge of the sport; access, rules, environmental, nutrition and goal setting.
© The British Canoe Union – This Australian version has been modified by Canoeing Victoria with permission from The British Canoe Union and support from the Victorian Government.